If you’re thinking about organising a Pride House to coincide with a large-scale sporting event in your region, these resources will get you started.
Check to make sure that no other group is already organising.
Pride Houses are organised and delivered by community groups local to the region. While Pride House International is there to support and assist, a Pride House is community-led. Check to make sure that nobody else is already organising by looking under “Future Pride Houses” and following up by confirming with us.
Look at the pages for past Pride Houses.
If you’re planning a Pride House for an Olympic Games, there’s loads of information on what past organisers have done. If your large-scale sporting event has never had a Pride House before, you can still learn from past iterations. Summaries, images, reports, and media for each Pride House should appear on their respective page.
Consider what is both appropriate and possible, given your region and financial, personnel, and time constraints.
The following will give you an outline of the areas you’ll need to consider:
Step 1: Planning
- Assemble Pride House committee(s).
- Identify local and global stakeholders. Begin building relationships.
- Define goals, vision, and requirements of community stakeholders.
- Define programming.
- Define budget and fundraising tasks and goals.
Step 2: Operations
- Secure venue(s) or virtual venues and identify backup venues.
- Identify and recruit required staff and volunteers (for example, photographers, security, speakers, performers).
- Identify and procure materials (for example, banners, seating, televisions).
- Apply for applicable permits (like liquor licences, event licenses, and venue licenses).
- Identify suppliers and get their timelines. For example, if you will have branded t-shirts or other swag, you need to know how soon they need your artwork.
Step 3: Communications
- Build a communications strategy. This is a key component especially for Pride Houses operating on a limited budget.
- Build website and set up social media.
- Build media mailing list and define strategy for press engagement.
- Produce logo and branding.
- Keep track of metrics (how many visitors, what was your reach on social media, what worked and what didn’t) for the final reports.
DELIVERY OF PRIDE HOUSE
Step 4: Evaluation
- Debrief with the team and produce documentation.
- Deliver legacy documents/report, photography, and press clippings to Pride House International.