This list is designed to give you a quick overview of the kinds of things you need to consider in putting together a Pride House. For more detailed information, read the Documentation from previous Pride Houses.
Step 1: Planning
- Assemble Pride House committee(s).
- Identify local and global stakeholders. Begin building relationships.
- Define goals, vision, and requirements of community stakeholders.
- Define programming.
- Define budget and fundraising tasks and goals.
Step 2: Operations
- Secure venue(s) or virtual venues and identify backup venues.
- Identify and recruit required staff and volunteers (for example, photographers, security, speakers, performers).
- Identify and procure materials (for example, banners, seating, televisions).
- Apply for applicable permits (like liquor licences, event licenses, and venue licenses).
- Identify suppliers and get their timelines. For example, if you will have branded t-shirts or other swag, you need to know how soon they need your artwork.
Step 3: Communications
- Build a communications strategy. This is a key component especially for Pride Houses operating on a limited budget.
- Build website and set up social media.
- Build media mailing list and define strategy for press engagement.
- Produce logo and branding.
- Keep track of metrics (how many visitors, what was your reach on social media, what worked and what didn’t) for the final reports.
Step 4: Implementation
Delivery of Pride House
Step 5: Evaluation
- Debrief with the team and produce documentation.
- Deliver legacy documents, photography, and press clippings to Pride House International.